Grilled Summer Vegetable Pita Pizza
This is a simple and delicious appetizer for a summer BBQ or just as an every day light meal.
Yield: 3 Pita Pizzas (24 small slices)
- 1 cup Sabra Classic Hummus
- 1½ cups summer squash (about 2 medium sized) yellow and/or green
- 2 vine ripe tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 3 (6”) round pitas
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tsp. salt
- black pepper and salt to taste
- Slice summer squash in ¼ inch rounds. Place in bowl and add 2 tbsp. olive oil and ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Peel and cut red onion in half. Then slice with the grain in ⅓-inch wedges. Repeat with second half. Place in bowl with 1 tbsp. olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and combine.
- Cut tomatoes in half and slice in 4-6 half moon wedges. Repeat with second half. Place in bowl with 1 tbsp. olive oil and ¼ teaspoon salt and combine.
- Grill summer squash about 4 minutes on each side. Grill onions about 5 minutes, rotating once. Grill tomatoes about 5 minutes rotating once.
- Warm pita on the grill about 3 minutes each side. Once warm, remove the pita from the heat and slather with about ⅓ cup Sabra Hummus.
- Top with summer squash rounds, tomatoes and onions. Cut into 8 pieces and enjoy as a light summer meal or appetizer for entertaining.